Taking your home services online and offering help to people in return for money within minutes after making the booking can ease things for users. A handyman app is like an on-demand service app that offers a variety of services for users.
There is a short circuit in your house or the drainage isn’t proper and you want to get it fixed? While some might want to do it themselves and get over with as soon as possible, some might want to invite professionals for the same and get it done by them in the meantime.
So how exactly would they get help for the same? Here is when the on-demand service apps come into the picture and provide the users with timely services. Take a look at what handyman apps mean.
With the companies going all-digital, nowadays special apps have been developed to serve the users for their household work. The consumer service sector has also come under the global modernization and people have started seeking help in the tiniest of their work at home.
A handyman app is a single app that offers a plethora of services such as booking a taxi, purchasing groceries through online orders, or booking a beautician for their services. These apps have brought everything under one roof making it easier for people, rather than having them switch between various apps.
Installing a handyman app helps them choose from the myriad of services offered by just a single app and choose the service they want at one particular time. Gone are the days when people used to walk outside from shop to shop looking for products and services. Now everything is just a click away.
Market Size and Stats
The market of handyman apps has been witnessing exponential growth in the U.S. Take a look at the growth chart of these apps from 2010 to 2020.
Let us now look at some important statistics about the industry and the apps in the U.S.:
- In the year 2020, the market size of the handyman service franchise measured by revenue is USD 4.9 billion.
- It is believed that the industry will grow by 3.2 percent in 2020.
- It has grown by 4.6 percent per year between the years 2015 and 2020.
Important Business Models of Handyman Apps
This line is an attraction for millions of users and the industry is taking over the app world by storm. The on-demand businesses are increasing like rage and the demand is getting higher with each passing day.
These apps are definitely going to bring in ample returns, as there is a lot of demand for these services. Let’s take a look at the business models of such apps:
- Multiservice aggregator: think of building a marketplace that offers a plethora of services to the people living in a country or a locality. This enables the users to book services at their convenience.
- Home service business: Get a powerful dashboard built and start an app with the services you offer to your clients. In short, any business that is offering handyman services should consider getting an app developed for their service and take things online for more revenue and requests.
- Single service aggregator: Get an app developed that offers a list of professionals for a particular service. These can range anywhere from mobile repairs, beauty services, and taxi bookings to home carpenters, plumbers, etc.
Benefits for Entrepreneurs and start-ups by Creating a Handyman Service App
- There is a likeliness of higher revenue generation with the launch of an on-demand service handyman app. The model has been growing popular and people have started turning to these apps even for simple things.
- Having the right tools and equipment will help the start-up organizations as it would not burn a hole in their pockets.
- New organizations that have set their foot in the service industry are likely to generate more profits right from the beginning.
- The tech-powered model helps companies to use the app easily and operate it automatically.
- It helps the start-ups decide about the services they want to offer. They can either enter a niche of services to any one of the commercial sectors or stick to residential services.
- The availability of service providers is what matters in such apps, therefore, it works according to them.
- Start-ups can form a brand of their own with the amalgamation of services they have to offer to the users.
- The payment is quick, therefore, there is no risk of not getting paid for the services on time. Service providers can also ask users to opt for the prepaid model.
- These apps have integrated GPS, which helps the service providers to offer quick services without wasting time.
- Revenue generation can be from multiple sources such as appointment fees, onboarding fees, commission, etc.
General Features in a Handyman Mobile App
A handyman app should be equipped with the most essential features that make it easy to use for the users. Also, the features should be user-friendly and understandable. Take a look at the basic features that one must include in their app:
- Sign-up/Login: One of the most basic features that the app can’t do without is signing up. Each user should sign up to have their personal accounts on the app so that they can view their personal dashboard and the history of services availed by them in the past.
- Social Media Login: To make the signup process quick the app should be integrated with social media. Users should be redirected to their social media accounts and sign up directly through those. This saves them time and energy, as they don’t have to enter all their details again.
- Schedule or book an appointment: While every user has his schedule fixed, he should be able to book an appointment for the service he wants to avail of according to his availability. The app should also allow them to schedule an appointment for the time a user thinks is appropriate for him.
- Browse and search: The apps should have a search bar enabling the user to type in the text for the service he wants to avail of. This helps in better navigation and saves a user the time to look for a particular service in various categories.
- Real-time tracking: Tracking the GPS location of a service provider helps the users explain the directions to the former. This does not only save a service provider’s time but also helps them to navigate and reach the place without having to take any wrong turns.
- Create and edit profile: Since each user gets his own profile, he can make his profile according to his choice and make changes whenever needed.
- Cancel bookings: The app should allow the user to cancel booking at any time or between a time duration post the booking is made. In case a user’s plan changes or some urgent work crops up, he should be able to cancel the booking made by him earlier.
- Reviews and ratings: One of the most important features of any app, this one helps the users make better decisions. The reviews of users help in making a brand image of the app, and too many bad reviews floating on an app might cause the app to fall behind the league.
Advanced Features of the Handyman App
The basic features can be set up in any handyman app by spending a limited amount of money. However, some apps would like to enhance the user experience by spending some more money on getting advanced features set in their app. Take a look at these features:
- Search filter: The app should have categories and filters allowing users to search easily and navigate between different services. Also, the search bar should be able to accept voice or text commands for making it more convenient to use for users.
- Multilingual: Not all users might be able to understand the language your app is in. To widen the horizon and get more customers on board, one must ensure to include multi-lingual support to the user base.
- Multiple bookings: Ever pondered over the fact that a user might want to make two bookings simultaneously while the app lets them book only one at a time? Well, time to break the stereotype and let them make multiple bookings at the same time. This will increase the number of bookings made through a single app and will result in better returns.
- Push notifications: All updates should be sent to the user’s device with the help of push notifications. They should be alerted about the promotional campaigns and offers being run by the handyman apps. This will help the service providers in an increased number of bookings. Another reason why push notifications are important is that all the details regarding a booking or payment should be shared through these messages.
- Invoice generations: The app should be able to generate an invoice after the user is done availing of the service. This reduces the extra effort of the service providers to make manual invoices and there is no scope for bargaining.
- In-app payments: Since the economy is becoming cashless and most people prefer paying through debit/credit cards or any of the e-wallets, a handyman app should have an integrated payment plan. This enables prepaid payments and brings transparency to the business.
- In-app support: This can either be in the form of on-call support or through chat. To help the users solve their query or any doubt, the app should have a pre-installed support tab, offering them support services.
- Masking caller identification: There might be chances of the user not wanting to share his/her number with the service provider. For such users, the app should be able to offer them the option of masking their number, through which their calls will be made via the app, not revealing the caller’s contact number.
- Instant alert: These alerts are sent as the details of the bookings with all the details as soon as a booking is made by a user. Instant alerts are very helpful as the user gets to know if his booking has been made or not, they can also receive their invoices soon as the service comes to an end.
- ETA (Estimated time of arrival): In a fast-paced world, who would want to sit idle waiting for the service providers to arrive? Rather, the ETA allows the user to use that time to catch up on some work or engage in some sort of activity in the meantime.
- Rate card: The users need to know the price of each service provided by the service providers so that they can book any service according to their budget. A rate card is as important as the services offered.
Panel features required for Admin, Handyman, and Users
Admin panel features
- Integrated analytics: The comprehensive reports suggesting the growth and expansion of the app help the admin make better and wiser decisions.
- Transaction history: With the help of this feature, the admin can get a better idea about a user and his preferences.
- Managing service providers: The admin has the authority of managing the service providers through the app and allotting them work and services according to their expertise. This also enables the admin to accept new user requests.
- Export report data: Since the admin has access to the dashboard, they can easily export all the data of the app to their mail accounts.
- Job history details: They also have access to the work history of the service providers who have enrolled themselves under the app. This enables them to get a better idea of the service provider’s history and nature of work.
- Managing promotions: The admin can offer discounts and offers to the users
- Manage service listings: They have access to the dashboard to make changes to the list of services offered by them and manage the prices.
Handyman Panel Features
- Feedback: A service provider can get feedback from the users for the service provided by him. This enables him to win the trust of other users and wins a recommendation.
- Edit or update profile: A service provider should get access to his profile and should be able to make changes with time, such as the years of experience, and make additions if any information needs to be updated.
- Update task status: To maintain transparency in his work and get access to more user requests, the service provider should be able to update his work status each time. This enables them to take up more requests in a day and update the admin about their services.
- Accept or reject service requests: A service provider might or might not be able to offer service at all times. Therefore, he should be able to either accept a user’s request or reject it in case of his unavailability.
- Get user details: This feature gives the service provider access to the details of the users. They get the location details along with GPS tracking to get easy access to their location without any hassle. A handyman also gets contact details through this feature, which permits them to get in touch with the user before stepping out.
- Provide service to users: Lastly, the most important feature of any handyman app is to allow the service providers to provide their services to the users. Since the app offers them a platform to get in touch with the users directly, they can talk to the users about the services they are looking for.
User Panel Features
- Easy registration: A handyman app should always offer the best registration experience, like all other applications. This doesn’t make the users lose interest in the app. The app should be linked to any of the major social media sites, through which the registrations of the new users can be completed.
- Address auto-complete: The users have to enter their contact and address details only once in the app. Once done, the app should be able to pick the details each time a user books for a service.
- View handyman statistics: Users get access to the reviews and ratings of the service providers, which helps them in selecting the most appropriate handyman for themselves.
- Track the handyman: The GPS location tracking feature helps the users track the handyman, whilst he is out for the user’s location. With this feature, a user can know where the handyman has reached, and they can always assist the latter in taking the shortest route to their place.
- Auto suggestions: The app should be enabled with auto-suggestions to assist the users in making decisions before making any bookings.
- Get handyman listings: Since the profiles of the handymen are provided to a user depending upon locality, the app should offer them proper listings of all service providers for a particular service in their area.
- Reviews: Users’ feedback and reviews on the handyman helps other users in selecting a service provider for their services.
- Schedule bookings: This is one of the most important features because it gives the users power to schedule their booking according to the time that fits them best.
Advantages of handyman app for users
While these apps are made keeping in mind the ease of access to the users and the availability of services, there are many other advantages that these apps offer to the end-users. Take a look at the benefits enjoyed by the people who use these apps:
- They do not have to make the payments in cash, therefore, the availability of cash is not necessary.
- They can choose a service provider according to their need.
- The GPS tracking feature enables them to keep a track of the handyman who is on the way to the user’s place.
- They can upload a review for a service provider and give them a rating as well.
- Users get services that have been booked from the app within a short period.
- The app is easy to access and saves the users time of going out to the market and looking for a professional for the same work.
Next, we take a look at the top features and categories start-ups can consider for their handyman apps:
- Appliances repair
- Beauty services
- House and office cleaning
- Duct cleaning services
- Heating and cooling
- Maintenance of lawns
- Mobile auto detail
- Mobile auto services
- Vehicle tire change
- Home inspection
- Trash removal
- Movers and packers
- Furniture assembly
- Gas services
Tech stack required for building a handyman app
By the time the start-ups or established businesses reach this point, they are aware of the technicalities of the handyman apps and are sure of the tech stack they want to use for its development.
However, you might not be a master of all trades and need help in the technical aspects of the application. It is advised to hire technical experts who have experience in developing on-demand services applications.
Here is a list of our suggestions for your tech stack:
- React Native
Cost to develop an app like Uber for handyman
Determining the exact cost of a handyman app like Uber is not easy. It may vary to a great extent when the final pricing is released.
Below is a brief about the number of hours that go behind the development of each function and the amount that is incurred on each of them (these figures are all approx.):
|Development||$ 10.000||$ 12.000||$ 22.000|
|Backend||$ 5.000||$ 5.000||$ 10.000|
|Design||$ 9.000||$ 11.000||$ 20.000|
|QA||$ 6.000||$ 7.000||$ 13.000|
|Total (approx.)||$ 30.000||$ 35.000||$ 65.000|
With the increase in demand for home-based services, handyman apps have started to play a major role in people’s lives. These apps have been gaining popularity and are a sure-shot winner in the future as well.
If you are thinking of investing money in such apps, then this is the right time for you to do it, as these can never run out of business. However, one must know the market trends and user behavior before getting a handyman app developed.